FRESH, LOCALLY SOURCED INGREDIENTS
The key to the exceptional quality and taste of “Proper Cornish” pasties is the ultra-freshness of ingredients, prepared in-house, just in time and sourced from Cornwall wherever possible. Supplier relationships are personal to us. Vegetables are delivered daily from chosen Cornish farms; Chris Dustow at Par (8 miles) grows our potatoes and Hay Farm at Torpoint (30 miles) grows our swede and onions.
We buy as much meat as we can from Cornwall, but the special cut of steak used in our PGI pasty is simply not available in sufficient quantity from Cornwall, so we have selected 5 trusted UK and Irish suppliers who provide exceptional quality UK & Irish meat day in day out.
The method we use is a closely guarded secret and elevates our products from good to exceptional. This captures the hearts of consumers everywhere and keeps them coming back again and again for a Proper Cornish pasty.
WASTE NOT – WE ONLY HAVE ONE PLANET
How can we all enjoy a modern lifestyle whilst sustaining our natural resources?
It is not possible for citizen or industry to right all the wrongs of 150 years of industrialisation in one go, but we can make practical changes to the way we live and work to help reduce our environmental impact.
Proper Cornish does just that, and has made significant progress over a number of years.
Here are some notable examples of things we do:-
- None of our waste goes to landfill!
- All of our cardboard is recycled, over the last 12 months that means 43.975 tonnes!
- All metal cans are recycled
- All waste paper recycled
- All food waste is converted to energy through anaerobic digestion
- All other waste goes to Cornwall Energy Recovery Centre for incineration to produce electricity
- Vehicle journeys are monitored and managed to reduce unnecessary mileage
- We’ve initiated a Cycle to Work scheme
- We encourage Car Sharing where possible
- We have Champions within the Bakery who are responsible for ensuring that equipment is switched off during breaks, at the end of the day and at weekends, thereby reducing energy waste
- Staff training and awareness raising is always ongoing
Our state of the art bakery has lots of environmentally friendly features too . . ..
- We operate a highest efficiency rating spiral blast freezer, with non-ozone depleting gas
- We have movement sensing light switching installed throughout, which automatically deactivate areas not in use
- Our bakery has high insulation throughout
- We operate a Refrigeration heat recovery system to power our Bakery hot water system
- Low energy lamps and equipment are being progressively installed
- Our Power factor correction unit ensures electrical power is converted into useful work output.
- Water meters have been installed to monitor usage, and we work on ways to further reduced our usage as well as ensuring the water going down the drains is as clean as possible, thereby helping our effluent discharge.
Proper Cornish continues to take practical action to reduce environmental impact working with customers, suppliers, staff and advisors. The journey continues.